Arizona’s Children Association offers a variety of training classes for parents and families across the state.
The Parent Connection offers workshops, parenting classes, support groups, and play-based parenting groups that cover the full range of age and stage development in children as well as some great tools for being a responsive parent.
Parenting classes (six-week curriculum):
- Systematic Training for Effective Parenting – STEP - parenting young children
- Systematic Training for Effective Parenting – STEP - parenting school-age children
- Systematic Training for Effective Parenting – STEP - parenting teens
- The Effective Parent - NEXT STEP - taking a closer look at how we parent
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
- Siblings Without Rivalry
- Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum – parenting children with attention disorders
- Guiding Good Choices – parenting 9-14 year olds
- Calming the Family Storm
Parenting Workshops (one time or multi-session):
Play-based Parenting Groups (parent and child birth to five):
- Stages of Development
- Realistic Expectations
- Parenting and Life Styles
- What’s Misbehavior and How to Redirect Problem Behavior
- Effective Communication
- Sowing the Seeds of Cooperation
- Discipline versus Reward and Punishment
- Encouragement and Self Esteem
- And much more…
- Center-based Groups
- Stay ‘n Play Outreach Groups
For information or to register for these Parent Connection classes, contact:
The Parent Connection
5326 E. Pima Street
Tucson, AZ 85712
New Directions Institute offers parents, child care workers and other caregivers training in early brain development that is up-to-date, high quality, accessible and affordable.
Workshops for Parents, Caregivers, Educators and Librarians
Learn how to help a child develop a healthy brain, hear the latest in brain research, preview Brain Boxes™ with materials for development activities, receive free handouts, and have the opportunity to purchase additional videos and materials.
Introduction—S.T.E.P.S. to Early Brain Development introduces the latest research findings about early brain development presented in easy-to understand terms by experts in education, and what you can do to help a child develop a healthy brain. This workshop overview is recommended before attending individual workshops on Attention, Bonding and Communication.
Attention — The Development of the Attention System explores how the healthy brain wires up to be able to pay attention. In order for anyone to learning anything, he or she must first be paying attention.
Bonding – The Basis for Learning provides new research-based information about the importance of bonding. You will learn how bonding builds healthy social and emotional relationships necessary for learning to occur.
Communication — The Development of the Language System discusses how the healthy brain is wired for language development, which is necessary for school success.
For information about New Directions classes and workshops, contact:
New Directions Institute
2833 N. 3rd Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004